Lifting heavy objects on your own may look impressive, but it can cause serious injury and strain unless it’s done safely. Before you lift an object, always test its weight before lifting it. Depending on the object’s weight, you may lift it by hand or need equipment to transport the object over longer distances. If you have a job that requires constant heavy lifting or you’re just moving furniture around, practicing safe techniques can help lighten the load.
- Stand in front of the object with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and keep your back straight as you lower yourself.
- Grab the load so the weight is evenly distributed between your hands.
- Keep your back straight as you lift the load with your legs.
- Walk slowly to transport the object.
- Bend your knees to set the object down.
- Ask others to help carry the object if you don’t feel comfortable with the weight.